Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Welcome to the Publisher's Arms!

Evening Ladies & Gents,

Of late I have started receiving emails from users wondering just what BI / XML Publisher is and how to use it. With the amount of repetition I was doing, and the fact that my small, free email address was starting to run out of space, I have decided to start my own blog to share some of this information.

Why the Pub theme?

No particular reason, apart from the fact that whenever I tend to answer questions in the BI Publisher forum, I am usually sitting in a hotel bar somewhere, wondering what on earth I can do with all this time on my hands and reading books about American ex-spies getting their revenge on their redundancy paying ex-employer!! God bless Robert Ludlum!!!!

I am also from the UK where the Great British Pub is a national institution. Raise your glasses everybody, and throw another log on the fire. CHEERS!!

So who am I to talk about such a hot topic?

Well... I work for Oracle UK as a Technical Consultant, with expertise in XML and BI Publisher. I have been working with it for a few years and have developed many solutions for clients both within the UK and abroad.

I couldn't tell you exactly how I got into it, as I don't exactly remember. I do remember having a training course on it during my induction to Oracle, and thinking, WOW, this technology is really clever, I want to know more..... So... after several projects, lots of self-study time and plenty of support from my boss, I finally decided that I had enough examples, experience and lonely hotel nights to start up my own pub... erm... I mean blog!!

I do not claim to be any kind of author, or even someone who could differentiate between prose and punctuation, but as any good barman would tell you, they hope the advise and views they give will be of use and help you out in the time when you need it most (if they are really nice, you might even by them a pint!!)

Please feel free to ask me questions, or drop suggestions as to what you would like to see here. I haven't checked yet, but I am really hoping there is "Post Reply" functionality for this blog!!!

Ding, ding, "Time at the bar, show us ya' empty glasses please!"

Cj

1 comment:

Tim Dexter said...

Hey Chris, You got any Special Brew or maybe a drop of Thunderbird (that might be going back a bit too far for you)
Great blog ... dont burn out its a bit like being down your local on a Saturday night ... pace yourself.
Cheers, Tim